Honda Prelude Forum banner

OFFICIAL: Retrofit Discussion, Question, and Info Thread

64K views 489 replies 65 participants last post by  Nethengeic 
#1 · (Edited)
I think we can all agree we need this. The Retrofit Picture thread has become extremely cluttered with people asking questions and just chit chatting (I'm not blaming anyone in particular, lots of people contributed, myself included.) So I think we should leave that thread for pictures only, just like the 5th Gen Picture thread, and use this thread for getting help with and discussing retrofits.

So feel free to use this thread to ask any questions about how to wire up ballasts, Bi-Xenons, what shrouds to use, how to cut certain shrouds, etc. Hopefully this will clean things up a bit.

See less See more
#445 ·
Quite a bit. Can't really give an exact measurement since I always just cut reflector bowls free hand with my die grinder

#451 ·
The cutoff shield should sit perfectly level with the bottom of the reflecting bowl to be essentially level when mounted back on the car. All cars are different though and even if you have both cutoff shields perfectly level with the reflector bottom one car might mount them slightly off level while another car would be perfect. Best chance it will work out if you car was never involved in a front end collision.

How close do they get to the headlight lenses? I know with the FX-R projectors in E46 shrouds there is no room for adjustment after they're sealed. In other words my projectors point down slightly and can not be leveled out.
If you are having problems with the E46 shrouds hitting you either do not have the projectors mounted deep enough or low enough or you are not trimming the edge of the headlight bezel so it won't contact the shroud.

#449 ·
How close do they get to the headlight lenses? I know with the FX-R projectors in E46 shrouds there is no room for adjustment after they're sealed. In other words my projectors point down slightly and can not be leveled out.

#450 ·
Like almost touching. They'll touch if they're adjusted too much. I tried to cut as little as possible from the shroud though.

You should have a decent amount of room with the e46 shrouds though. Are they resting right on the headlight reflector or something?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#453 ·
I always use the same stuff that's used for cars. I do Autobody work, so I always have it around

#457 ·
Lamin-X is much better than clear spray and will last a lot longer. I have lamin-X on my headlights, 5 years now and it still looks new. lamin-X also hides the swirl marks left from polishing/buffing the headlight lenses. :smilejap:

#459 ·
They will fit over them but you will have to make the projector lens holder stick through the E55 shroud in order to sit the shroud deep enough back in the headlight to not hit the headlight lens at the top. The same thing happens when you try to use E55 shrouds on RX330 projectors which are only slightly smaller than S2000 projectors.

-JL

#464 ·
yea, there's usually a small hole on most headlights

#467 ·
E55's don't really have a flat side, but one part is wider than the other. I always put the wider part facing up, covers more of the projector that way. :smilejap:

#471 ·
Guys, I forgot to mark the stock aiming before I cut the reflector bowl. And now I'm mounting/aiming the TSX projector onto the reflector bowl. What are some tricks to make sure that the cut off lines on both side will be straight and un-slanted when the headlights are installed??

#472 ·
If you get the cutoff shields level with the flat bottom of the headlight reflector you will be close. Only sure way is to test mount them and temporarily re-install the reflectors into the headlight housings and mount them on the car to test aim on a wall at night.

#474 ·
Hopefully someone is still checking this thread out on the regular.

I have a couple of questions.

Is there any way for me to level this out, I just did a test drive at night and got quite a few high beams :oops:

They shine pretty far down the road but it didn't seem that high up next to the wall.

Also, has anyone found a way to retain the use of their low beams at all. Otherwise I guess I have to find a spare set for inspection.

#478 ·
It's often difficult to find newer OEM HID projectors on the market for a reasonable price and usually newer projectors do not actually outperform older designs since DOT regulations are constantly getting tighter. The S2000 projector was introduced 13 years ago and it is still unmatched by newer OEM projectors.

#479 ·
Hey all... i have a question... now its not for my lude seeing how it is long gone... but i just retroed my s14... Morimoto mini h1s ... however the other day while i was driving they just shut off. I checked the fuses and they are all good... stock high beam works... and power is good.... but the bulbs arent firing? The only things i can think of would be stock relay, relay harness, or ballasts? Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?

Pics of said car

#482 ·

I just brought these RX350 projection headlights home from work yesterday. The headlights are made by Depo as you can see in the pics I snapped. The Lexus GX 470(1stgen) have foggies w/projectors that I want to retrofit into my Lude foggies. I'm going to retrofit the RX350 projectors into a new pair of Depo oem style lenses with black housing around the reflectors. I've heard that the RX350 projectors work well with our headlight housings. Any opinions/suggestions/thoughts/ect...

#483 ·
Experienced retrofitters?
Especially those that have done fx-r

Would it be possible to fit
fx-r 3.0
With the 3 inch lens?
With standard e46-r shrouds
I like the look of a bigger lens like this here:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316855

The 3 inches are a little longer than the 2.5's (pics attached)

(I'm only worried about the e46 shroud hitting the headlight lens since the projector would stick out more when mounting it)

Here is a direct comparison

#487 ·
Experienced retrofitters?
Especially those that have done fx-r

Would it be possible to fit
fx-r 3.0
With the 3 inch lens?
With standard e46-r shrouds
I like the look of a bigger lens like this here:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316855

The 3 inches are a little longer than the 2.5's (pics attached)

(I'm only worried about the e46 shroud hitting the headlight lens since the projector would stick out more when mounting it)

Here is a direct comparison
If you cut off the FX-R mounting bracket and drill out the 4 screw holes that hold the projector together and use those 4 holes as mounting holes the projector sits deep enough that it should work ok with E46R shrouds. When I do FX-R 2.5" with E46R shrouds mounted like that I have almost 1/2" of clearance from shroud to headlight lens. So you would be tight with 3" but should work if you mount the projectors very low in the upper reflector.

Is there anyway to fix the rotational alignment once the projectors have been bolted in?
Had a set done a long time ago and just recently i decided to take the headlights out of the
car and fix them.
Some projectors have shields that can be adjusted slightly (TSX is easiest) while FX-R you can actually bend the shield stop slightly to adjust the rotation but it's very difficult to do without taking apart the housing again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.