Honda Prelude Forum banner

Are Gabriel brand shocks/struts any good?

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fmn716 
#1 ·
Are gabriel brand shocks /struts any good?

If not, is kyb better? what do you recommend?

I'm not trying to spend too much. But if I can't find any chunky chrome rims to fit on my lude i'm gonna have to keep it stock. But either way the suspension needs to be replaced. I just was gonna do it after I got the rims.

#2 ·
shocks

If you want a bit more firmer sporty ride Tokico or KYB, if you want softer ride and using stock springs Monroe senstrac. I'd not go with Gabriel from what i understand is a US cheap make. Or you could bite the bullet and get hot bits coilovers! lol!
Other alternative is to rebuild the rears with new oil they are fully stripable and can even use thicker oil. And then find some new shocks for the fronts. The stock shocks on the back are very good units better than most new patent replacements but out of whats available Tokico probabaly the best as thats what ours came with originally. Koni Reds are good but not available new only as old stock or 2nd hand so very rare to find.

#3 ·
Could you fit the KYB shocks with lowered springs? Mine are around 1 - 2 inches lowered, but not exactly sure.

What is the difference between coilovers and what our cars already have? I mean, don't our shocks already go inside the springs - isn't that what a coilover is? Or when people refer to coilovers, do they just mean the spring and shock sold together as such?

#4 ·
shocks

Yes your correct adjustable coil overs i should have said lol!
Hot bits coilovers are fully adjustable in height and as an option in damping as well.
KYB will be fine with springs as long as they are not adjustable coil over slip ons they might be too hard for the damping on them.

#5 ·
Yes your correct adjustable coil overs i should have said lol!
Hot bits coilovers are fully adjustable in height and as an option in damping as well.
KYB will be fine with springs as long as they are not adjustable coil over slip ons they might be too hard for the damping on them.
So they'd be fine on stock suspension with lower springs? As far as I know the setup is totally stock apart from lowered springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.