Honda Prelude Forum banner

90-91 teggy clutch

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cudaboy 
#1 ·
So i spent forever and a day looking for a flywheel for my lude, Finally ran across mustardcat's write up on the 90-91 integra clutch/flywheel. Way cheaper to go this route as every person i called said that the oem flywheel has been discontinued. Question is how do i make the timing marks on the flywheel without the stock one??

#2 ·
you have a couple options but the way i did it is.
first install the flywheel onto the crank, hopefully since u read the article you know you either have to grind the alignment mark off the crank or make one on your new flywheel. then after you have it installed manually crank over your engine till its tdc, if the head is off it makes it super easy if its not off u can shin a light into the spark plug tubes or you can put a wooden spoon in the spark plug tube and check that way, then look at the alignment mark on the block and grind a small line on your flywheel. or use florescent paint

#3 ·
Ty i was wondering if i could grind that lil peg off the crank instead of drilling a hole in the flywheel. Thanks for the answer, Now i just wait for it to get here. Thats pretty simple Thanks. :)

#4 ·
I have the later teg fly because its a '91 d2a4. I used my old flywheel and went to the hardware store and bought the appropriate size bolts and nuts that I ended up having to shim up with some alluminum tape. I bolted them together and used my drill press to drill the alignment hole. I then used the thinnest cutoff die grinder disc I had and cut a slot in the middle of the tooth for tdc. I then punched the 15 degree mark or 18 whatever it is in the middle of that tooth. I then took flourescent paint pen and marked the punched hole and used white paint pen for the tdc slot. I haven't tried to time it since but I will have to look at it soon if I want to replace my valve seals. Not the best but that was the best I could do on a 9.75 lb cromoly flywheel onepiece.

#9 ·
What did you have to shim up with aluminum Tape the flywheel bolts themselves. I notices that they have a lil bit of room inside the flywheel to wiggle around, Is this what your talking about??

#5 ·
Thanks for your guys input im also wondering how anyone feel about grinding off the peg on the crank Vs. drilling a new hole in the flexplate?

#6 ·
If you are the only one that will ever be removing and reinstalling a new or same flywheel I guess its not that big of a deal. I prefer to drill it out. Makes it simple and aslong as you do all your alignment marks and the hole in the right place makes it screw up free for you and anybody else.

#8 ·
Well i was going to grind the peg off but thought better of it i have a giant drill press (6') So i figured why not, might as well do it the "right" way.

#10 ·
yup. I just wrapped them with that some what thick foil tape that had adhesive on it. I also actualy bought longer bolts that fit in there and matching nuts. So I could sandwich them together good and tight and I also used a block of scrap wood to keep the two from dipping on the drill press. Lot of prep but I didn't want any slop. I cut one tooth with a cutoff wheel in the middle of the tooth from one side to the other of the flywheel. Like so \ /\ l /\ / That way it didn't affect the tooth at all. You don't have to make it real deep. Just enough then I used one of my white paint pens designed for marking metal. This is all for the tdc mark. For the 15 degree timing mark I just punched the tooth dead center and used a neon orange paint pen. I think it was 15 degrees whatever the stock has for timing light. I haven't checked them to see if I can still see them. I will soon because it would make getting to tdc a lot easier for changing my valve seals that need replacing badly. I bought a spare rebuilt engine since then and it had the transmission with an unorthodox flywheel that are no longer made but they told me I still could buy the wear plate. So I will probably use it next time. Its like 12 lbs and has the tdc and timing mark on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.