Honda Prelude Forum banner

Burning oil

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  hatedenemy 
#1 ·
My prelude burning oil from somewhere, blue smoke comes out the muffler, a slow leak. Before I start checking the engine (h22a4) I just wanna hear some ideas on what it can be. Thanks

#5 ·
I notice mine burns a bit out the muffler when it's fully topped up, but that might just be that I'm looking out the back more after a top up.

But yeah how many miles are on your Lude?

#7 ·
Have your engine compression tested. The oil is either making its way into the combustion camber around the rings or through the valve stem seals. If your compression test is ok, then you need the head rebuilt. If the compression test is bad (assuming the valves are properly adjusted and the seats are good), your rings/cylinder walls are worn.

#14 ·
OH EM GEEEEE.....

This is not an issue with oil type used.

Make sure your oil is 5w30 or 10w30. You can use coventional, semi syn, or full syn.

Usually you will have more oil consumption with synthetic oil. This can get expensive for you. You would need to be on top of your oil levels all the time--which you should be anyway!!

A lot of times going from convential to full syn on a motor that speant 100K miles on convential can sludge up the engine. Full syn will break loose the sludge built up from abuse on convential oil. This just means your first couple oil intervals on syn should be a bit premature.

Full syn has the ability to leak easier than convential due to molecule size.

No matter what--if you have a seal leaking you need to replace it. If you go from convential to syn and find a leaking seal it has to be replaced! Does not matter what oil your using at the point the seal was bad anyway!

For the record, I use Mobile 1 5w30 full syn. I check my oil level every other day if not everyday. I run my engine :)

If you do a compression test yourself. With the engine cold, break the spark plugs loose. Then tighten them to 16 ft lbs. Run the engine until warm. Remove the spark plugs. Check battery voltage. Verify its 12+V. Place your foot on the throttle and fully depress. Run the compression test on a cylinder and record results. Check voltage on the battery again between each test. Record the voltage if you like. If you get a cylinder where the numbers are low, add a teaspoon or so of oil into the cylinder chamber. Run the compression test again for that cylinder and record results. If you see an increase in numbers after adding a teaspoon of oil then you can be certain you have an issue with the piston rings. If you see no change then you can still have an issue with the piston rings or other issues.

#15 · (Edited)
OH EM GEEEEE.....

This is not an issue with oil type used.
...Never said it was, I noticed he said he is using synthetic which is rough on the seals especially at his mileage. This is not an oil thread, as I pointed out there is one already. I said it in passing.

#16 ·
OUr shop bb6 tends to burn oil but only typically when going into v-tech, we have replaced the rear main seal as it decided to pour oil out.

#18 ·
#17 ·
Though the car is still burning a little much, issue will be resolved when the rebuild begins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.