Does a radiator have to be mounted level? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: Does a radiator have to be mounted level?

psud3ity
01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Simple question, complex reason.

Does a radiator have to me mounted level (as in | ) or could I get away with tilting it forward ( like \ )

Reason being, I'm 100% out of room with the manifold I have and the wastegate mounted on it. I don't want to go half rad and I'd like to keep the mizu radiator I have. I'd basically be cutting a radiator sized notch into the radiator support to get the extra half inch or so, and then moving the radiator brackets towards the front of the car more. Woudn't be any extreme angle, just enough so that the wastegate is comfortably away from the fan shroud. A 1" movement at most.

xxfallacyxx
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Well the whole point of the radiator is to have air pass through it. I think you'll find that if it's mounted at an angle your fans will probably come on more often, but it may still function absolutely fine.

Wing8806
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Get rid of the fan shroud. That should give you the near 1" of play that you need.

Mounting the fans directly against the radiator is perfectly fine, and if anything allows more air to pass through the radiator and into the bay area vs having the shroud. Also gives you more room to move the fans left/right depending on where your wastegate is.

catacon
01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
lol hellaflush radiator

playludesc
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
lol hellaflush radiator

Lol.

I know that Corvettes use a (very) slanted radiator. Assuming Chevy doesn't have crazy radiator technology, I think it's safe to assume that any radiator can be mounted like that. Fallacy has a good point, though, but at the degree to which you're slanting your radiator, I doubt you'll find much difference in air flow or fan runtime.

element600rr
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
if your not keeping the ac ( most turbo guys dont ) then you can get a set of fans the can be set up to push air ( not pull ) and mount them on the front of the rad . theres your extra clearance there ..

bb6 vtec
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Lol.

I know that Corvettes use a (very) slanted radiator. Assuming Chevy doesn't have crazy radiator technology, I think it's safe to assume that any radiator can be mounted like that. Fallacy has a good point, though, but at the degree to which you're slanting your radiator, I doubt you'll find much difference in air flow or fan runtime.

Corvettes still use rear leaf springs for christ sakes..:tounge:The car as a whole is old technology.Sorry for the off topic response.:oops:

psud3ity
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Hmm, food for thought. I'm still not sold on cutting into the upper radiator support, and tilting the radiator though.

My other option is to sell the current manifold I have, which is already up in the for sale section, and go with the newer lovefab EQ that has the wastegate on the side. I'm strongly leaning towards that at this point. I mean, I'm already in pretty deep, whats another $300 into the money pit.

If anyone has interest in a used lovefab EQ for cheap, cutting their rad support, or going half rad status, it'll be there.

egjdmh22a
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Sell yours and buy a tucked one:)

psud3ity
01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Sell yours and buy a tucked one:)

Now that would be the baller thing to do... unfortunately that's a project I have 0 time for.

egjdmh22a
01-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Now that would be the baller thing to do... unfortunately that's a project I have 0 time for.
To have a full size radiator in my civic with my H swap I would need a tucked one because my alternator sticks out to far

MaoZeBong
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
the older nissan z's had a pretty slanted radiator as well... with a bit of creativity you should be able to get it mounted a bit forward.

Darren's 01 SH
01-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure FD rx-7s have a slanted radiator as well. At least the setup I've seen it for a few turbo FDs I've seen

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

element600rr
01-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Corvettes still use rear leaf springs for christ sakes..:tounge:The car as a whole is old technology.Sorry for the off topic response.:oops:

corvetts do not use rear leaf springs .. they use a cross spring to take the place of coils front and rear not just rear .. btw check the lap times of a z06 compared to any exotic and then tell me there old technology .. the z06 is one of the baddest cars on the planet and for a 3rd what most exotics cost .. the slanted radiator works fine because its ducted to do so amd as long as the cap is at the highest point you could lay a radiator at just about any angle and it will work fine as long as air goes across it ..

Shimee
01-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Air needs to go through a radiator, not across it ...

Darren's 01 SH
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Air needs to go through a radiator, not across it ...

I think that is what he meant, which is why he bought up ducting.

If the radiator slants, it has to have diversion plates on the sides and top so the air gets forced into the radiator and can't sneak around it.

STLude
01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
i bet with some creative fabrication you could lower the radiatior mounts enough to move it directly forward, underneath or even in front of the radiator support. like drop it down about 2 inches and then forwards an inch or more. however, wings idea of removing out cutting away a bit of the fan shroud is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution.

bb6 vtec
01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
corvetts do not use rear leaf springs .. they use a cross spring to take the place of coils front and rear not just rear .. btw check the lap times of a z06 compared to any exotic and then tell me there old technology .. the z06 is one of the baddest cars on the planet and for a 3rd what most exotics cost .. the slanted radiator works fine because its ducted to do so amd as long as the cap is at the highest point you could lay a radiator at just about any angle and it will work fine as long as air goes across it ..

Get under a new corvette and tell me what u see.They do in fact use rear leaf springs. Anyone can put a big motor in a fiberglass car and make it fast. Have you ever been in one? Im guessing no since the inside is full of cheap silver/black plastic panels and covers that get scratched easily and peel off.Part of the reason why their so cheap. Insides look like a cobalt, besides the head up display, the vette is pretty cheaply made. Again,sorry for the off topic response fellas..

Wing8806
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
i bet with some creative fabrication you could lower the radiatior mounts enough to move it directly forward, underneath or even in front of the radiator support. like drop it down about 2 inches and then forwards an inch or more. however, wings idea of removing out cutting away a bit of the fan shroud is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution.

:emthup: :)

Something else to add that for whatever reason psud3ity didn't mention (shame on you man!) For those that don't already know, Ontop of the large Mizu radiator - he's using a mizu cooling shroud and (2) Mizu slimfans. That's the shroud I was referring to since it's already a separate piece that would give around 1" of clearance if mounting the fans flush vs using the shroud.

psud3ity
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I've decided that rather than mess with the radiator I'm going to get a newer manifold with the wastegate out the side.

Equal length also a bonus.

That said, the mizu fans aren't much larger than the stock fans... it's the radiator core itself that's larger. The fans are actually "slimmer" than the factory ones.

Sent from your moms house via tapatalk

Wing8806
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
That said, the mizu fans aren't much larger than the stock fans... it's the radiator core itself that's larger. The fans are actually "slimmer" than the factory ones.

:jehon: Ya don't say? http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347403&highlight=

That's why I suggested doing away with the shroud for the possible 1" of play - but you would have to measure to confirm exactly how much room that would give you. Maybe it would work, maybe not - was just a suggestion. :silly:

ogsmakdade
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
do away with the shroud, move the fans to the front of the condenser.

ExtremeAtheist
01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
z31 radiators are almost vertical.

SNOBORDBOY
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Just for a point of thought, the rally and drift teams that use god v-mount setups, use a rad with a 45 degree angle on the fins, to get proper airflow.

ExtremeAtheist
01-11-2012, 12:18 AM
If you set up your v mount properly, the air will be forced through the intercooler and radiator just fine. Angled fins is just showing off.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk