B-Series Coil Over Plug Conversion [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: B-Series Coil Over Plug Conversion

SEVNZLUDE
12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone got this on their 3g?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/coil-on-plug-cop-conversion-kit-b-series-honda-engines-1255

Pricey as fuck.............

dano
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
$785 ... Hahahaha No, I don't think you will find this on many $500 cars.

Didn't know that Honda B engines had a "DWELL" problem. Dwell is a problem that Point/Condenser ignition systems have.

Dwell is the term to describe the amount of time the ignition points dwell in the closed position. The longer the points stay closed, the more time the ignition coil has to build up a charge. The longer the coil builds a charge the better the spark.

They state that the system does not need the expensive CDI unit. At $785 that's not much of a claim.

:):):):)

SEVNZLUDE
12-17-2011, 01:23 PM
$785 ... Hahahaha No, I don't think you will find this on many $500 cars.

Didn't know that Honda B engines had a "DWELL" problem. Dwell is a problem that Point/Condenser ignition systems have.

Dwell is the term to describe the amount of time the ignition points dwell in the closed position. The longer the points stay closed, the more time the ignition coil has to build up a charge. The longer the coil builds a charge the better the spark.

They state that the system does not need the expensive CDI unit. At $785 that's not much of a claim.

:):):):)

Agreed.

I wonder if there are cheaper conversion kits for coil over plugs

redloudlude
12-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Come on guys please stop talking about our cars market value that don't mean ish to me I don't intend on selling my car ever. All though I'm very interested in the individual coil system but how for the obd 0?
Any one know ,I really like how the system deletes the distributor !!!!

1funryd
12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Convert to OBD1 and then you can use this system.

Its a pricey upgrade that will be more of a benefit for high reving motors.

I will be going this route some day once the H23vtec or H22 motors get swapped out from the H23a.

For me its more of a space and efficient use of the technology, but its not necessary.

The complete system is $1000.00

OMega
12-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I am still debating on going with that type of setup. It will take away your ability to control your timing by hand. Besides, I have too many new parts in my garage that I need time to stall.

FuzzyGreen
12-19-2011, 04:49 AM
I am still debating on going with that type of setup. It will take away your ability to control your timing by hand. Besides, I have too many new parts in my garage that I need time to stall.

It takes away your ability to control timing by hand and replaces it with the ability to control timing super accurately down to the hundreds of rpm and throttle with the click of a mouse as well as removing the mechanical loss of the distributor and exhaust cam sensor friction. Then, by placing the coil on the plug, removes any interference, delay, or resistance caused by the spark plug wires themselves. So you get a better spark with better timing. A truly awesome technology advancement.

Too bad it took Honda so many years to start putting it in their new cars. They really blew it by about 5-10 years on that one.

SEVNZLUDE
12-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Come on guys please stop talking about our cars market value that don't mean ish to me I don't intend on selling my car ever. All though I'm very interested in the individual coil system but how for the obd 0?
Any one know ,I really like how the system deletes the distributor !!!!

Yea, besides all the performance benefits it cleans up the bay a lot.

DonDominican
12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I looked into it a while back , but personally found that for a b20a/21 it wasnt worth the cost. UNLESS it was FULLY FULLLY built for all out race or a trailer queen show car, jus to be unique.

U can pretty much get the same gains running a tuned obd1 ecu as a standalone ems to an extent

sappysport215
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Anyone got this on their 3g?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/coil-on-plug-cop-conversion-kit-b-series-honda-engines-1255

Pricey as fuck.............

heres a better alternative for people using hondata.... i trust hondata more then aem stuff...

http://hondata.com/hondata_coil_pack_retrofit.html

rev_rage
12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
heres a better alternative for people using hondata.... i trust hondata more then aem stuff...

Iam so getting this for my H swap

4ws Ryan
12-20-2011, 06:46 PM
currently going this route on my f20b. Except I am running OEM Honda K series Coilpacks. The AEM Pencil coils are known to get hot over long trips/durations of time.

I'm going trough Rywire with everything here in a month or two. Shall see how it goes then!

LudeBob89
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Very keen to find out if these fit the B20A engines. I wonder if there are length differences into the head?

Dexter
12-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Anyone know if Neptune has the capabilities of controlling COP?

cudaboy
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
They said the coil packs retail for $60 I am guessing that would be each so $240 plus their $3xx module correct? Plus hondata 300.

Edit nevermind. I just answered my own quistion rereading. The hondapartsnow.com price for those 4 for coils before shipping is: $185.32. Then another $57.36 for plug seals. So total $242.68 plus shipping.

Is individidual coil packs realy more reliable? I know my uncle has had problems with them on like my aunts 90's buicks. I will have to ask my buddy about it. He use to be knee deep in the 300zx TT that had them. Plus now he works at a nissan dealership in parts. But is best friends with the shop foreman that has worked there for like 20 years. I would think unless coil pack technology is very different heat would be a concern.

Dexter
12-21-2011, 12:14 AM
http://compare.ebay.com/like/230644872901?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

cudaboy
12-21-2011, 12:37 AM
yeah that is cheap I don't know if I would trust those. Especialy considering if I was going this route I would be spending quite a bit of dough and going turbo settup. I already have a profressionaly rebuilt b20a5 with forged pistons on the stand for when I am ready and a turbo manifold. They may be fine and you made your point that there is cheaper then honda factory parts but that is a noname coil pack. To make things worse that ebay seller/store is the same one that supposedly offers vss for the 90-91 manual ludes that doesn't fit physicaly it is way off. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just saying.

LudeBob89
12-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Need to confirm is B series coil packs fit the B20A head though. Other wise its all academic.

cudaboy
12-21-2011, 01:51 AM
well its not all academic. Some of the stuff I was asking was specificaly design orriented. But yeah I want to know too for the bastard b. But some of the questions would apply to other engines already in the 3rd gen lude.

BA5
12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
This is interesting. For some time now I have suspected the ignition system to be less-than-awesome in these cars. I have a totally rebuilt ignitions system (new coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wire, and I've cleaned up and checked the distributor) and I can still feel it misfire and skip sometimes, and you can see it when checking with a timing light as well.

OMega
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
This is interesting. For some time now I have suspected the ignition system to be less-than-awesome in these cars. I have a totally rebuilt ignitions system (new coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wire, and I've cleaned up and checked the distributor) and I can still feel it misfire and skip sometimes, and you can see it when checking with a timing light as well.

More then likely its noise on the cylinder 1 sensor. Those wires get fragile over time.