HELP! I need help Locating a rare sensor for my 90 Prelude!!! [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: HELP! I need help Locating a rare sensor for my 90 Prelude!!!

ironmanang
12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/bhzl1v.jpg[/IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/21osbo3.jpg[/IMG]

I need to know the name of this sensor that is located on the thermostat housing on my 1990 honda prelude 2.0s...I believe it to be a vacum port sensor or vacum valve, something of that nature. I found something online saying it was called a thermovalve. I had mechanics look at it, went to honda and other parts stores and it seems like this sensor is a pink elephant. I found similar parts with only two or three vacum ports, but not four like the one on mine. Does anyone know where i can purchase this part, or if anyone has one that they can sell please let me know.

luzer
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Your picture is blocked for me since I'm at work, but I'm assuming that you're talking about #7 in this link...

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=32&productID=6&yearID=29&doorID=1&gradeID=418&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=1&idAndImageID=5764%20936957&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Install%20Pipe%20-%20Tubing

It looks to be a discontinued part. You can use one from any 88 - 90 Prelude S model. You might have to start hitting junkyards. I have a spare for my son's car, but I don't want to sell it because they are getting hard to find. Maybe someone else here is planning a trip to the junkyard soon and can pick one up for you.

ugly3gs
12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
part no. = 17350-pk1-661

I needed this part for a while after my prelude kinda died in late august. I googled the part no. a few months back and hondapartsnow had it, but I just checked and they don't have it. I googled it again and found two random websites that have it in stock, but I don't know whether or not to trust those websites.

http://parts.sonshonda.com/products/VALVE-ASSEMBLY--THERMO-WAX-SWITCHING/1485587/17350-PK1-661.html

cudaboy
12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
use the part number from the link luzer posted and either call your local dealership or hondapartsnow.com and ask them to do a national dealer search. It only takes about a minute and you may get lucky.

3gPreludetuner24
12-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Search Rockauto.com I think they have it.

mean89
12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I need the same part for mine, it's had one of the nipples broke off since I bought the car. I priced it at the stealership and they wanted $89CA for it, alot of money just to not stare at a check engine light, think I'll take an attempt at JB Weld'ing mine together first. Haven't been able to find another SOHC Prelude for parts anywhere's close by to get one off of

TripleLude
12-18-2011, 09:31 AM
That is not really a junk yard usable part because they break just by pulling on the vacuum lines. It is available. I bought one from Honda about 3 years ago, and I have another I bought from a member who bought it new.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE NEW ONE YOU BUY!

luzer
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
That is not really a junk yard usable part because they break just by pulling on the vacuum lines. It is available. I bought one from Honda about 3 years ago, and I have another I bought from a member who bought it new.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE NEW ONE YOU BUY!

I've been able to remove the hoses without breaking them. My spare came from the junkyard, and so did the one on my son's S. They come off if you gently twist the hoses before pulling them off. In fact, I've never broken one when pulling the hoses off. I broke one with the wrench I was using when tightening it down or loosening it. They are very brittle. Too bad they didn't make it out of metal.

cudaboy
12-18-2011, 03:12 PM
slicing the hose off would help too. But yeah they are brittle. I even broke one of the fuel injected sensors taking it off. The plastic barrel broke loose and left a plastic powder mess.

ugly3gs
12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Advance auto has one, but it only has two connections for the vacuum lines as opposed to four. Could it be possible to re-route the vacuum lines so that only two are needed instead of four? or am I wrong because this so-called ported vacuum switch is for something else?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Switch---Ported-Vacuum-BWD-Intermotor_18970326-P_285_R%7CGRPSESWAMS_____

cudaboy
12-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I am pretty sure that the one I pulled off only had two but it was on the backside of the water neck. Perhaps that is a different one at advance then the one needed.

luzer
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I am pretty sure that the one I pulled off only had two but it was on the backside of the water neck. Perhaps that is a different one at advance then the one needed.

This is for a b20a3 Kevin, and it has 4 ports.

I don't know if you can do any king of conversion to be able to use the 2 port switch. TripleLude might be able to answer that one.

TripleLude
12-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't think a conversion is possible without eliminating the purpose of having the vacuum switch. It controls numerous things with the cold-engine idle speed and choke.

The vacuum box may require vacuum parameters that are only necessary for accelerating, and others for decelerating. For example, the vacuum advance that controls the ignition timing.

The car would still be drivable after circumventing the vacuum switch, but it would not be as happy as it should be.

cudaboy
12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Not sure if the one I got from the junkyard was b20a5 or a3. I think it was a5. Been awhile. Anyway the waterneck it came on is on my b21a1 now with that vacuum switch port is now my autometer water temp sensor with bushing. But pretty sure it was two hose connection. so there are two different ones. That is the only one I have seen like that.