where should I disconnect my exhaust for the most power gain [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: where should I disconnect my exhaust for the most power gain

92si4WSH22a
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I know it doesnt make much of a difference but I love the sound. When I bought my car the kid ran open downpipe on it and it was wayyyyy too loud. But my friend has a teg and he had his disconnected more towards the end of the exhaust towards the muffler and it sounded nice. I was wondering if theres any place that offers more hp gain without a rediculously loud sound.

h22a4lude
01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Shorter the exhaust the louder the sound granted other things factor into the loudness but the shorter exhaust would allow you to run a bigger pipe on your car while keeping good exhaust velocity which translates into a good mid to high power band gain.

Illegally'Ludin
01-16-2010, 01:40 AM
our cars need back pressure for power and full torque. just use a high flo cat no resignator and a full cat back exhaust like greddy or invidia and youll feel the difference

Illegally'Ludin
01-16-2010, 01:40 AM
throw some headers on it and BAM!! lol test your redline

RedLuder89
01-16-2010, 02:36 AM
our cars need back pressure for power and full torque. just use a high flo cat no resignator and a full cat back exhaust like greddy or invidia and youll feel the difference

Dont tell that to Blake..lol haha

amanwani
01-16-2010, 09:51 AM

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/images/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif (http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266540&highlight=backpressure) poets, "Backpressure: destroying a myth," thread. (http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266540&highlight=backpressure)

4thGenPrelude
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
throw some headers on it and BAM!! lol test your redline

Yeah dude throw like 8 headers on there! Your redline will be so high!

On a serious note, stop being cheap and buy a 2.5" exhaust. /thread

And what the hell is good exhaust velocity? If backpressure and "velocity" are so important, why do top fuel dragsters run as little piping as possible? Face it, your car will make more power if it is TUNED to dump after the downpipe. Even better with a custom header.

BB4_
01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I know it doesnt make much of a difference but I love the sound. When I bought my car the kid ran open downpipe on it and it was wayyyyy too loud. But my friend has a teg and he had his disconnected more towards the end of the exhaust towards the muffler and it sounded nice. I was wondering if theres any place that offers more hp gain without a rediculously loud sound.

I ran my car without the axle back muffler for months. Sounded great. I love the backfire sound when off you let off the throttle.
Surprisingly its not too loud.
Here is the only video of my car without an axleback, you can kinda get an idea on how sounds.
To get the most hp gain in the upper rpm's I would think it would be right after the collector on the header. (basically just running open header)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl5UdiJj84

Rduenas_92si
01-16-2010, 01:05 PM
u dont need back pressure, u dust need constant velocity

92si4WSH22a
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Well I already have full exhaust, pretty sure its 2.5 inch or something like that. I have DC headers. Im probly just gonna take the muffler off or should I take the resonator off too? my friend did that with his teg and the sound gave me wood.

All Mighty
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
When will you kids learn that preludes do not have headers? I dont know why but that shit irritates the hell out of me.

To the OP, do not cheap out and just take exhaust off because you think it sounds cool. Do it the right way. On my old prelude i had full custom exhaust, no resonator, no cat, no muffler. But it was tuned. If you are looking for sound, take off the header, downpipe, cat, b pipe, resonator and muffler. Run it open head. Have no exhaust, i bet that will sound awesome!

92si4WSH22a
01-17-2010, 07:39 PM
:thefinger:

T0DA
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
I ran open b-pipe (note a downpipe is turbo car slang) for about 8 months. Backpressure and the "need" for it is bullshit, my car made noticeable gains when I first took my exhaust off. And no, I'm not saying that because it was louder or whatever, when my car has less traction than it did with the restrictive stock headerZZZZSSSSS and exhaust on it, and seems faster, it is because it actually made gains. Untuned. Blake runs, or atleast ran his car the same way on the track. Its your exhaust, dismantle it how you please. :p

92si4WSH22a
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I ran open b-pipe (note a downpipe is turbo car slang) for about 8 months. Backpressure and the "need" for it is bullshit, my car made noticeable gains when I first took my exhaust off. And no, I'm not saying that because it was louder or whatever, when my car has less traction than it did with the restrictive stock headerZZZZSSSSS and exhaust on it, and seems faster, it is because it actually made gains. Untuned. Blake runs, or atleast ran his car the same way on the track. Its your exhaust, dismantle it how you please. :p
HAHA HEADERZZSSS.

I had mine off right before the cat and it was extremely too loud, sounded awesome tho. And yea u can deff tell gains. I think im just gonna take off the muffler and resonator. Im not really looking for gains, really just looking for a lower sound. Im a broke son of a bitch right now lol

98vtec
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
technically the manifold is deemed headers when there is more than one cylinder.

One cylinder engines have a header. Who gives a fuck anyway. You know what he means.

92si4WSH22a
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
technically the manifold is deemed headers when there is more than one cylinder.

One cylinder engines have a header. Who gives a fuck anyway. You know what he means.
Thank you good sir : )

twokexlv6coupe
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
just take off the header, and run it like that

zomgzzz +100000000poniess