How to take apart headlights??? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: How to take apart headlights???

h22aFranz
12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
I have a general idea of how to take apart the headlights using the oven, but I need DETAILS before I start.

I am going to take my OEM headlights and make them black housing with a Depo amber corner. I dont like any aftermarket options for headlights except for the legit JDM 1-pieces.

So if anyone knows how to cook the headlights for how long at what temperature, please let me know. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

I will have pictures through the whole process and share when I am complete.

Thanks,

Franz

Tizzakowack
12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
http://92lude.com/tailight_conversion.htm here is for the tail lights. about the same for the headlights.

when i did mine i just put it in the oven on a cookie sheet with a towel on it. like it says take it out and slowly gently ply the headlight off the housing/plastic. if you have to use too much pressure put it back in and melt the glue a little more. most important thing is to take your time. you force it you will chip or crack it trust me and also be careful with the tabs they break easy too.

also not to be a dick but there are probably 10+ threads on this topic and i know there are 1-2 write ups on this topic as well.

JLude
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
4th gen headlights require a little more heat than 5th gen headlights to soften the sealant enough to separate the lenses. I would put them in a PREHEATED oven at 250 degrees for 8 minutes, then use gloves to handle them! First remove all the little metal clips that help hold the lens to the housing, then use a couple large, flat head screwdrivers to begin lightly prying at the seam till the lens starts separating and then use a sharp knife to stick in the crack and cut the sealant. Work like this all the way around the lens and then pull it away. If it's tough to pull off the housing...heat it a little longer at the same temp.

You must remove the lens within about 5 minutes after taking out of oven, otherwise it will cool down too much and the sealant will get hard again.

Good luck.

- JL

b1g_turk
12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
When i took apart my USDM and JDM headlights I used a heat gun instead. It works way quicker and you can apply the heat to only specific parts and not the whole thing. taking the JDM lights apart was easy since I had a buddy with me so he heated it while I gently pried it apart. I used the oven for my tail lights and wasn't happy with the outcome, it took too long and trying to pull apart a hot light sucks.

Just my $0.02

sispeeddemon
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Pretty much just do what everyone in this thread has said, but here is a write up if you need more details or pics.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289550

h22aFranz
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I finished them the other day.

Clean them really well, sanded the parts I was going paint, cleaned them again, tedious painters tape, three coats of primer, and a coat of flat black.

I've got amber corners being shipped right now.

Stroker
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I finished them the other day.

Clean them really well, sanded the parts I was going paint, cleaned them again, tedious painters tape, three coats of primer, and a coat of flat black.

I've got amber corners being shipped right now.

pics?

h22aFranz
12-21-2009, 11:01 PM
pics?

Pics as soon as get my amber corners in the mail and on my lude.

Stroker
12-23-2009, 01:04 AM
you inspired me to do mine finally lol. maybe i will post a pic later