Cylinder 1 TDC [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: Cylinder 1 TDC

soulmonger
04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
How can I test to see if it's cylinder 1 thats at TDC or cylinder 4 without removing the head, and most importantly, without bending any valves? Actually, come to think of it, whats the number of the cylinders from passenger side (left side as you look at the car from the front) to driver side?

dano
04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
If your timing belt is on you won't bend valves. Cylinders from the passenger side to the driver's side 4-3-2-1.

Look to the left of the exhaust manifold where the engine mates to the transmission. There is a hole (should be a rubber plug) you can see the flywheel and a metal pointer. There are timing marks for using a timing light and the T-D-C mark. The T-D-C mark is a single line and there should be a "T" or "+" close to it.

soulmonger
04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Timing belt has already been removed though and its not lined up the same as it was so I cant just put the belt back on (not so smart friend of mine did that).

black91crx
04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
You can also remove the dizzy cap and look at which plug is about to fire

luda_tech
04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
really fast way is to take out the first spark plug and stick a screwdriver in the cylinder and rotate the crank till it the screw driver comes up all the way on compression stoke (when it comes up slowly bump it cause once you hit you tdc itll start going down) not 100% but it works, i've had to do it with this nissan v6 truck at school had no visible mark for the crank at tdc

insuusvenerati
04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
really fast way is to take out the first spark plug and stick a screwdriver in the cylinder and rotate the crank till it the screw driver comes up all the way on compression stoke (when it comes up slowly bump it cause once you hit you tdc itll start going down) not 100% but it works, i've had to do it with this nissan v6 truck at school had no visible mark for the crank at tdc

x2 I do it all the time.

dankvilla
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
x3 ive done it this way and go slow if it hits a valve just turn cams a bit to get them closed then realign everything.not exactly the comventional way but you can!

david9er
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
You could pull the oil pan and sneek in a cheat peek from the bottom

Federal way 3rd gen
04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
or you could take out the spark plugs and spin the crank by hand (belt pulley) and spin it till the all 4 cylinders are at 50% TDC and then align the cams at TDC then turn the crank back to TDC again, if you do it correctly and use the camshaft arrows (which will point up parralel to thecylinder head at TDC) and the pointer in the trany hole as a guide you can get the timing right.

beware of the dreaded camshafts not wanting to stay in place! you may want to have a buddy help you hold the camshafts at TDC while you put the timing belt over them, or else its a wrench war with trying to hold them against the valve tension.

HCF
04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
beware of the dreaded camshafts not wanting to stay in place! you may want to have a buddy help you hold the camshafts at TDC while you put the timing belt over them, or else its a wrench war with trying to hold them against the valve tension.

Thats what the little holes near the cam gear are for. A drill bit, or torx screw driver fits in there perfectly and does not allow the cams to jump.

motoxxxman
04-22-2008, 03:01 PM
lmao! um, cyl 1 and cyl 4 will be at tdc at the exact same time at all times. the timing belt has nothing to do with that.
if you're talking about determining if cyl 1 or cyl 4 is at tdc on the COMPRESSION stroke at a given point in time, all you gotta do is make sure the distributor and cyl sensor are installed correctly in the head, because the cams are what drive the distributor and cyl sensor, and they are what determine when fuel is injected and when the plugs spark.