clutch going out? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: clutch going out?

masonhenson
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
i noticed the other day that my clutch seems to be just a little too close to the top of the pedal. I thought about just adjusting the rod under the clutch pedal to make it engage closer to the floor but then i noticed that the clutch seems to click into a LLLIITTTLLLEE bit of engagement about a half inch off the floor. It doesnt engage fully, but it seems like it starts to catch a little bit. the more traffic i sit in the worse it seems to get. My car is an auto to manual swap so i dont know if thats a normal thing or what but it just doesnt seem right. before i could throw it in 2nd gear at like 7500rpm and spin the tires, now it just seems to rev up and the drop back down a little and then go. its like the tires are spinning but theyre not.. does anyone know what I'm talking about here? is my clutch going out or is it something else?

billiam
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
normal engagement fror me was like 3/4 of the way out, if not more

masonhenson
02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah but it seems to SLIGHTLY engage close to the bottom

LadyLude98
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
same thing is happening to me...

I changed my clutch slave cylinder and then took it to my friend's shop to make for sure I put it in correct. Then for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to adjust where my clutch engages and now it makes a noise like it's trying to spin my wheels but they won't move and I don't know what bolt underneath the dash to adjust...... hmmm I know I need a new clutch but having it not engage completely and reving without motion is really going to beat up my clutch...grrr

prelude1897
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
so you're saying that you just have to barley press the pedal and it'll go into gear? If so, seems like your clutch if perfectly fine to me. I usually have to press about half way maybe a little more in order to put it into gear

1fastlude
02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
^ yeah i would have to say so.. Mine engagement is about an inch if that off the floor but thats cuz i have a stage 2 organic street disc in mine with a 8lb flywheel. I love it though..

masonhenson
02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
no it doesnt engage all the way.. just barely catches and then eases into full engagement. biggest issue is the motor revving and not spinning the tires when shifting into second

1fastlude
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
no it doesnt engage all the way.. just barely catches and then eases into full engagement. biggest issue is the motor revving and not spinning the tires when shifting into second

Do u know when the last time ur clutch was replaced?

And are talkin about chirping the tires when u shift from 1st to 2nd?

masonhenson
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Do u know when the last time ur clutch was replaced?

And are talkin about chirping the tires when u shift from 1st to 2nd?

no idea when it was replaced. maybe 50 or 60k miles ago? and yeah it wont chirp the tires

Corers
02-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Same thing is going on with my car, I think the pedal is normal, but the fact that it "slips" into full engagement makes me think I need a new clutch as well.