steering wheel shaking after alignment and wheel balance [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: steering wheel shaking after alignment and wheel balance

brandobot
09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
just got my wheels balanced and i got a full alignment. no idea what this means...but measurements read

Left Front
Camber -1.6
Caster 3.5
Toe .02

Right Front
Camber -1.9
Caster 3.1
Toe .05

Total Toe .07
Steer ahead 0.01

Left Rear
Camber -1.5
Toe .02

Right rear
Camber -2.7
Toe .14

Total Toe .17

Thrust angle -0.06

What does it all mean?

Also, my car still turns to the right a little bit. Why are the numbers for the ride side higher than the left? Why does my steering wheel still shake on freeways, especially when i step on the brakes. Is it something else?

rearviewmirror
09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Cars are setup to compensate for the natural bevel of the road to the right for water run off As for steering wheel shake when braking, that's usually due to warped rotors but can also be caused by front wheel bearings that are wearing out.

weapon of mass induction
09-12-2007, 10:39 PM
is ur car lowered? if so then u need a camber kit. i had to get one... check ur air pressure too if one side is less then u will drift and that could cause the shaky wheel too or a bent rim... old tires ruin the drive too... or you can take it back and say that they f***ed up and you want it checked

Bobo_686
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
wheel alignment wont cause your wheel to shake unless it's horribly bad, and looking at the specs it doesnt seem bad, but in regards to the vibration in the wheel while braking it seems like your rotors are def warped..thatll cause that feeling..if it is vibrating at highway speeds your tires could be cupped also...how old are they?

brandobot
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
tires and rims are good. none are damaged..

brandobot
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
*my car is also lowered. no camber kit. is my camber wear that bad? in the past years, i've seen no camber wear and my tires look pretty straight.

brandobot
09-13-2007, 01:34 AM
also wanna know, how can i check for warped rotors?

Mr.Luder
09-13-2007, 02:05 AM
if u have more negative camber on one side than of course your gonna have a pull

and from the looks of it, ur car has more right camber the the left front and back.

get a camber kit to fix camber

also wanna know, how can i check for warped rotors?
to check for warped rotors, look for hot spots or long scores. little scoring is ok but ones that look bad will causing shaking while braking. uneven brakes or rotors can cause shaking to. check for bad groves in the rotor