whats wrong with "bondo" brand bondo??? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: whats wrong with "bondo" brand bondo???

teamable
03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
first the randomness, ok i already bought the junk, and just threw some on some paper just to see how it does, and its heating up a little, id say its at most 10 degrees over room temp...

anyway so i already bought the stuff a while ago, and today i read
"paint 101" and it just says that it will warp in heat, but i really dont care, and i think thats just personal opinion. Anyway anybody got anything to add to this???????????? or at least what thier opinion is...

and the reason i didnt post this in the detailers forum is cause it will never be seen!

Preludesi_2004
03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
body filler is a lot more improved than before, it is now less likely to crack. make sure to add hardener to it, i forgot to last time :lol: but thankfully it wasnt on a important project, just playing around. I remember a paint guy at my shop said to use 1 dime size of hardener for every something of filler , i know it doesnt help but i tried :D

teamable
03-13-2006, 10:58 PM
(preludesi) i think its one dime of hardener to one golf ball size amount of filler, or instead of a dime i can use (i think) a 1 inch line(w/e) of hardener

MustardCat
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
What are you going to be filling? Bondo brand should be fine, just make sure the surface in prepped good, and dont let it get wet.

I just normally lay a 3-4" puddle of filler, then run a line of the hardener from one end of the filler to the other. Makes it fairly easy to be consistent.

BAD91Si
03-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Body filler WILL warp when heated, if its a extremely thick layer of filler.
One time I had a HUGE dent in the fender of a car, I globbed on a whole can of filler to fix the dent, sanded it smooth, did such a good job you couldnt even tell there was like 10 pounds of Bondo on there, anyway, took it to Maaco to be painted, shiney bright red. I get it back and all my Bodo was peeling off the fender because they oven bake their paint jobs to speed hardening.
That sucked.
So just beware of using a super thick layer of bondo, for small dings and stuff its great though.......;

Jaxluda
03-14-2006, 03:03 AM
I'm in the midst of shaving my side molding using Bondo and that's about 1/2" thick. Well see how that'll come out once i get the car painted.

LudaPower
03-14-2006, 06:06 AM
One time I had a HUGE dent in the fender of a car, I globbed on a whole can of filler to fix the dent, sanded it smooth, did such a good job you couldnt even tell there was like 10 pounds of Bondo on there, anyway, took it to Maaco to be painted, shiney bright red. I get it back and all my Bodo was peeling off the fender because they oven bake their paint jobs to speed hardening.
That sucked.
So just beware of using a super thick layer of bondo, for small dings and stuff its great though.......;
Actually i think it did it because you had 10lbs of bondo there.

I suggest Gold brand filler.. works great and easy to sand.
It says to use 2% of the filler for hardener.

Oh also try putting some on some cardboard then folding it over.. watch how hot the damn stuff gets.. you could almost cook an egg on it :lol:

Juiced Prelude
03-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Actually i think it did it because you had 10lbs of bondo there.

I suggest Gold brand filler.. works great and easy to sand.
It says to use 2% of the filler for hardener.

Oh also try putting some on some cardboard then folding it over.. watch how hot the damn stuff gets.. you could almost cook an egg on it :lol:

Agreed, it probably did it because you had it on to thick, About bondo brand bondo. It sands hard as a rock, and its harder to smooth on.

My personal opionion about it, is it sucks. They sell that stuff at checker. And for some reason, i dont like buying autobody stuff anywhere other then a paint supply store, just as i dont buy audio equipment at walmart type stores..etc..But it is really hard to sand, it clogs up your paper faster, and doesnt apply as smoothly. Since you have it, you might as well use it...it should be fine, if applied and used correctly.

About the guy shaving his side moldings with bondo...1/2 is WAYY to thick to be using bondo with. I'd like to know how long it actually does last before it cracks...for your sake though i hope it works out ok.

take it easy..
jp

flamencolude97
03-14-2006, 08:29 AM
That sucked.

the whole reason that happened was because you used way too much filler. the professional grade filler(not bondo brand) isnt ever supposed to be put on more than ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH. otherwise you would have been fine having the paintjob oven baked.

id like to make the point here that filler IS NOT FOR FIXING DENTS, its just for a final smoothing of the surface. you use your metal working skills to get the metal as straight as possible, THEN USE A THIN LAYER OF BONDO.

as for bondo brand?? its not too bad. its not the best but you can make it work really well if you take your time and do it right. i even have some here at the house myself. what was your specific question teamable???

and Jaxluda----cease and decist filling your moldings with bondo immediately. your getting yourself into a world of trouble. if you want to properly shave them, have someone weld in some metal first, then lay a little bondo (no more than 1/4 of an inch) and youll be golden. a half an inch of bondo slaped in there isnt going to last at all, especially not the doors. every time you shut your door its going to crack more. like i said before, filler is not structural, its cosmetic, think of it like play-doh or mud or something.

this is why we NEED a bodywork section on this board. i have talked to at least one or two mods but it hasnt happened yet. i think ill give it another shot. how about you guys lobby behind me too???

Preludesi_2004
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM
^ well said, many people use it as a dent filler, but in reality it does just make the surface smoother.

CruZin89LuDe
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
i'd like to see that section, but it will be just like some of the other sections nobody visits... If someone needs help quick they're just going to post in general or something anyways...

flamencolude97
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
naw, ill live in the bodywork section, promised. itll be the best on the board

90LudeSiALB
03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
you crazy guys, body filler is NOT for filling in moldings or filling big dents. if you fill your moldings, your asking for BIG trouble. youll slam your door one day and i can picture the whole strip/molding falling off lmfao!!!

body filler is for AFTER pounding out the dent the BEST you can. or when you WELD metal to shave the moldings, you use bodyfiller to cover up the welds after you grind em down....