Brake pedal is sinking in the civic [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: Brake pedal is sinking in the civic

XDiGiTaLX
05-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I know this isn't 3rd gen related, but i trust most of the people here anyway and it would be the same fix on the lude

The brake pedal is sinking. The hand brake light was on (brake problem) and then i filled the fluid level from right under low to max.

There isn't much pressure, hear the pedal pumping which probably means that the master cylender is good...

if it sinks and it barly brakes, this means i have air in the system right?

merlindavis
05-21-2005, 01:03 PM
usually, yes... bleeding them wouldn't be a bad idea, and it wouldn't hurt to do it even if it wasn't needed...

the other option is that there's a fluid leak somewhere... if you're consistantly running low on fluid, check the insides of the wheels and tires to see if brake fluid is dribbling down... or find a dry spot and pump the brake a couple times...

Import_Tuna
05-21-2005, 01:06 PM
I've got a '93 Civic Si, and the pedal goes to the floor every time. I don't think I have a leak, but I know my pads are below 50%. It doesn't sink, though. It just sucks. Civics have shit for brakes.

--J

mouchyn
05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
I've got a '93 Civic Si, and the pedal goes to the floor every time. I don't think I have a leak, but I know my pads are below 50%. It doesn't sink, though. It just sucks. Civics have shit for brakes.

--J

civics have the same brakes as integras... civics don't have shit for brakes. YOUR civic has shit for brakes.

XDiGiTaLX
05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
ya, first time i get into this problem... so i probably dont have a leak but not bad idea to check though...

damn now i need to find someone who will pump the brake....

XDiGiTaLX
05-21-2005, 01:12 PM

--J

my 89 civic beater had FIRM brakes up until last night when i put the band brake down and the (P)(!) light (or brake light) stayed on.. i thought the hand brake switch was furb'rd so i drove on the high way and i noticed the firmness went down by abit...

this morning i start driving and i brake and my pedal sinks ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way down i was like wtf lol it was funny feeling. i filled it with fluid the light came off but the car barely brakes now.

protocol
05-21-2005, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=XDiGiTaLX]I know this isn't 3rd gen related.......QUOTE]

this is in the genereal forum.... whya re you worried about it not being 3rd en related?

mouchyn
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=XDiGiTaLX]I know this isn't 3rd gen related.......QUOTE]

this is in the genereal forum.... whya re you worried about it not being 3rd en related?

'cause i moved it here out of the 3G forum

protocol
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
SO IT WAS YOU!!!!!! YOU CONFUSED ME!!!!!

Oo
oO
>.>
<.<
><
:evil:

hehe.....

Import_Tuna
05-21-2005, 01:22 PM
civics have the same brakes as integras... civics don't have shit for brakes. YOUR civic has shit for brakes.

Yeah? Don't Integras and Civics use the same or similar shift linkage? I've shifted a '96 RS and I've shifted my '93 Si and there is no comparison. Shifting my Civic is like stirring up a bucket of butter with a purple dildo. Shifting an Integra is like using a joystick. Well, maybe those are exaggerated a little bit, but I think you get the idea. They may have a lot in common, but you can't compare Prelude brakes to Civic brakes. Prelude = performance. Civic = economy. Can I get an amen here, troops?

--J

mouchyn
05-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah? Don't Integras and Civics use the same or similar shift linkage? I've shifted a '96 RS and I've shifted my '93 Si and there is no comparison. Shifting my Civic is like stirring up a bucket of butter with a purple dildo. Shifting an Integra is like using a joystick. Well, maybe those are exaggerated a little bit, but I think you get the idea. They may have a lot in common, but you can't compare Prelude brakes to Civic brakes. Prelude = performance. Civic = economy. Can I get an amen here, troops?

--J

i didn't compare the prelude brakes to civic brakes. I compared integra brakes to civic brakes. I don't care about shift linkages, either. I was talking about their brakes.

the integra brakes are completely interchangable with the civic brakes.

that really wasn't the point, though. The point was there aren't any honda brake systems that are "Crappy." They all work beautifully for what they were intended to do -- even the old drum brake setups back in the 70's. If the brakes on YOUR civic suck, it's your fault. Fix them.

Import_Tuna
05-21-2005, 09:13 PM
What's with the attitude, buddy? Having a discussion with you is like arguing with a fucking three-year-old. My Civic has shitty brakes, end of story. I was comparing them to the brakes in my Prelude. I don't really give a shit what you were doing. I suggest you get a grip on your slack and idle body, pal. I mean what is this, kindergaarten? Fix my brakes, eh? Fix this.

--J

mouchyn
05-21-2005, 09:20 PM
sorry if i came off dick-ish. that wasn't my intent.

it sounded like you were saying that all civic brake systems suck and i didn't want anyone to take that as a truth, since it isn't. There's nothing wrong with civic brakes. If brake performance is poor, it's something specific to each car -- not the system design. That was the only thing i wanted to get across.

Sorry if i offended you.

Import_Tuna
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Well thanks for the apology. I don't want to start shit with anybody here. Just kinda sounded like you were being an ass but I guess you weren't. Pardon me.

--J

3rdgenb21
05-21-2005, 09:54 PM
nah he wasn't bein a dick. he was just bein himself. notice how his first post in this thread had NOTHING to do with the topic, he didn't even try and help with the problem. all he does is look for shit to criticize in other peoples posts.

as for the brakes, if the pads are low that could have caused the reason to add more fluid, which also could have got air in the lines.

merlindavis
05-22-2005, 02:05 AM
FYI, our rear discs are identical to 90-01 teggy rear discs, as well as whatever range of civics they fit... not sure on calipers, the but discs are the same... so, them crappy civic brakes could very well be the ones sitting on the back of your 3g... food for thought...