adding a tweeter to a 3 way speaker or jus get componets?? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

: adding a tweeter to a 3 way speaker or jus get componets??

snoop_005
08-30-2003, 05:22 PM
sorry for asking soo many questions :P

I have a set of 3 way infinity kappa speakers in the front, im thinking of adding a pair of infinity tweeter, will this make the system sound like the componets, will the tweeter thats built on to the speakers interfer wit the dome tweeter? or should jus jus ditch the speakers and get the infinity componets set??

mouchyn
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
if you can afford it, get the component set -- although i wouldn't go with infinity. They have been known to have tweeter problems.

add a set of aim-able tweeters to your 3-ways *could* help sound and imaging, but would probably just end up making it sound like a reverb chamber with all the sound being directed in 19 different directions.

snoop_005
09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
humm....which componet or tweeter would u recommend?

orgasm_donor
09-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Boston Accoustics Neo3R or the Neo5t.

Very warm sounding tweeters !!! Highly recommended.

Mike

Ricedadee
09-06-2003, 03:39 AM
Well, adding a tweeter to speakers won't make a difference to the human ear.. and besides tweeters can go thru a big rang in the highs the difference in component is that they have cross overs (i think there amplified a little) that split the highs to the main tweeter and the lows to the speaker ... they also don't have a hole that is in middle of the speaker were the tweeter should be in non-componet speakers producing the perfect bass sound out of the speaker that can't be done in non-componet...

mouchyn
09-06-2003, 01:59 PM
holy cow....that made little to no sense

toss some grammar and puncuation in there and it might say something like "adding a tweeter won't make a difference because there isn't proper separation of sound between the coaxial speaker and the tweeter."

if that's what you're trying to say, then it's not entirely accurate. Most tweeter sets that you buy some with an in-line capacitor that filters out the frequencies the tweeter can't produce. When the tweeter is wired in parallel with the coaxial speaker, it works just like it would in a component set. The only difference here is that he would have two sets of tweeters pushing the sound stage in several different directions.

Ricedadee
09-07-2003, 03:23 AM
how did that not make sense?

Ricedadee
09-07-2003, 03:24 AM
u basically said what i said but, in a different way

mouchyn
09-07-2003, 01:04 PM
u basically said what i said but, in a different way

that was my point. I was basically saying what you said -- but in a way that people could understand it. Your posts was like two sentences, but over 100 words. It was very hard to follow where you were going with it, so i just cleaned it up some :)

then i said why it's not necessarily true

mouchyn
09-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, adding a tweeter to speakers won't make a difference to the human ear..

Having a separate tweeter will make a huge difference. It may not be the difference he was looking for, but it WILL make a difference since the frequencies produced by the tweeter are the ones most sensitive to direction. If it didn't make a difference to the human ear, why would companies bother making component sets?

and besides tweeters can go thru a big rang in the highs the difference in component is that they have cross overs (i think there amplified a little) that split the highs to the main tweeter and the lows to the speaker ...

The crossover does not and cannot amplify the sound. It does separate various signals to their respective speakers, but that's to "conserve" energy. If you send a 10k tone to the mid range speaker and a 500 Hz tone to the speaker, the mid would was a lot of energy trying to reproduce the 10k tone even though it probably won't ever come out of the speaker. The speakers are designed to be efficient for their appropriate range of sound.

they also don't have a hole that is in middle of the speaker were the tweeter should be in non-componet speakers producing the perfect bass sound out of the speaker that can't be done in non-componet...

Now, this is correct. Since the cone on the component mid range and mid bass speakers are continuous, the even depression of the cone during playback is much more even and accurate. This produces a nice tight, accurate sound. Some would say that their coaxials produce the same quality of sound as their buddy's component set. This can be true -- but most likely, they're comparing apple and oranges. If you are comparing a set of boston coaxials to a set of JBL components, then the outcome is obvious even before you start.

I'm not razzin' you. I was just trying to make what you said clear to those reading it. I bet now that i've split it up into sentences (even without punctuation), your thought process is a little more understandable.

Ricedadee
09-09-2003, 08:31 AM
All right... I should check on my spelling and punctuation. I wasn't sure about the cross over having a built in amp but, about the tweeter. I thought he was just adding a tweeter to his existing set of tweeters in his speaker... I know that mid and highs are important but, I don't think you need more then that in a speaker ... that's just my opinion

mouchyn
09-09-2003, 03:53 PM
it's not just the presence of the tweeter and mid range diaphragms that counts. The higher the frequency, the more "directional" it gets -- meaning the more important the placement of the speaker is. If he leaves the tweter on the coaxials or triaxials that he has, then adding an outboard set of tweeters may do a few things:

1. make the high end frequencies seem "confused" -- if he buys nice silk tweeters or something and they're jammin' right along with his plastic or whatever tweeters in his original speakers, the tonal balance of the sound being reproduced won't match quite right -- this can result in a disappointment

2. pull the sound stage in one direction or the other. With the stock tweeters down low in the coaxials (or triaxials), the stage is already low and relatively flat. When you have the stage being pulled down by the coaxials and have the stage being pulled up and to the center by the separate tweeters, it will create a rather interesting effect on how your brain listens to the sound. You'll find yourself concentrating on how it sounds rather than what the sound actually is.

Although, to some people, slapping a set of out-board tweeters on a coaxial or triaxial system will make it sound "better," I think his money and effort could be better spent rethinking the system's front stage all together.

snoop_005
09-09-2003, 06:52 PM
ok..so get rid of my 3 way infinity and get some infinty componets?

snoop_005
09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
ok..so get rid of my 3 way infinity and get some infinty componets?

DJ_Mittens
09-09-2003, 07:35 PM
If you're getting components. just make sure they're made for each other. The more you spend on the speakers, the more the manufacturer spent on making sure those speakers could sound as good as possible in your car. Adding and switching components messes that up. Leave perfection alone.

snoop_005
09-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Ok, im getting infinity perfects 6.5 componets....now this raise some more questions...is it ok to have 3 way speakers in the back? will this effect the sound stage?? and im pretty sure this componet set will sound better than the kappa 3 way that i have right now....will this create unbalance sound quality??

DJ_Mittens
09-10-2003, 07:17 AM
In the rear deck you can get away with coax (integrated tweeter/woofer in one unit) because the rear soundstage isn't nearly as critical as the front. If your rear soundstage is too "good", or too powerful, your attention will be drawn behind you which is a weird feeling. The stage should always be in front of you, while the rear just makes sure it doesn't feel like the sound dies behind you, kind of like a reinforcement

snoop_005
09-11-2003, 03:54 AM
How much depth can 3rd gen prelude front door panel handles? These perfects are pretty deep, 2-5/8" my current kappa 3 way are only 2-3/16"
Will they be able to fit ok? The front panel door has this white plastic ring, it makes my speakers stick out a bit..is that a spacer?

mouchyn
09-11-2003, 09:24 AM
cut the back out of that basket. I had to use a spacer when i installed my Sony Mobile ES speakers into my first lude...

snoop_005
09-11-2003, 03:07 PM
yea thats what i had to do when i put the kappas in the extra plastic inside the basket wont fit the kappas so i cut them out...its jus like a ring now i think...